Immanuel Lutheran Church
312 5th Street
PO Box 448
Gaylord, MN 55334
We are a friendly, growing congregation, united in our commitment to support and encourage individuals and families, both young and old, as disciples of our Lord Jesus Christ, to grow in love and faith, and to learn and live by the Word of the Lord.
The story of Immanuel Lutheran Church began in 1881. The first church was built in 1882 and dedicated on June 25, of that year–a year before the organization of the village of Gaylord. This building was also the first Christian Day School for children of the congregation.
By 1887 a larger church was deemed necessary. The congregation entered its new church on October 21st, 1888. The original church was used as a school until 1914 when it was moved three blocks to the east and became a privately owned home. It was replaced with a larger school house on the original site. An addition to the school was built in 1951.
After 74 years and many renovations the church building was again in need of replacement. On August 22nd, 1960, the congregation resolved to erect a new church on the same site as the old church. Our current church building was dedicated on March 24th, 1963.
A decision was made in 2012 that “Stepping Forward In Faith”, the congregation would begin raising funds to build a new school. After the old school was demolished, building began on the same site across High Avenue from the church. The new school building was dedicated and ready for the 2013-2014 school year.